Address: Stortorget, S-391 21 Kalmar
Kalmar Cathedral is one of the few unaltered buildings from Sweden’s period as a great power.
The interior was laid out according to Evangelical Lutheran tenets with the altar as the focal point. The cathedral’s furnishings and fixtures reflect Sweden’s great power period with graves, epitaphs and a splendid baroque altar. This altar was designed in 1704 by Nikodemus Tessin, the younger, and depicts the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The oldest fixed content in the cathedral is the pulpit, which was created by sculptor Baltzar Hoppenstedt in the mid-17th century. A door at the side of the chancel leads to the Christopher Chancel, which is named after the city of Kalmar’s patron saint, Saint Christopher. The cathedral has three church bells, all from the 17th century and obtained from the medieval Storkyrkan (Great Church).